Visit the VHES PTO facebook Page for Additional Updates
February 24, 2018
Lice Informational Night - Recap
February 6, 2017
Lice Informational Night
Thanks so much to all the families who attended our January PTO Meeting! If you didn't make it to the meeting, here is a recap of the information provided by The Lice Lounge:
**IMPORTANT NOTE: The PTO does NOT endorse The Lice Lounge, but they are simply one of many services that help treat lice infestations in the metro area.**
* To reduce your child's chances of infestation, or re-infestation, keep hair pulled back any time they are around others in a braid or a bun.
* Use a mint-based leave-in spritz/spray on the hair before leaving home. Additionally, using mint-based shampoo and conditioner weekly is helpful. Just like every product you use on your children, make sure you do your homework before your choose the right product for your family.
* Do frequent head checks. Comb your child's hair (and yours!) with a lice comb once a week for 2-5 minutes. Watch for signs of head lice: red marks at the back of the neck, itchy scalp, swollen lymph nodes. Making head checks a part of your weekly routine will help with early detection and is the only way to stop head lice from escalating or spreading.
Facts of Lice
* Head lice are absolutely NOT a hygiene issue, in fact, they prefer cleaner heads. They prefer clean hair as it is easier for them to grip, however, hair gel will not deter them. Lice infestation is just something that happens; personal hygiene, cleanliness in the home/school and social class have NOTHING to do with getting head lice! Talk about it and share ideas/information with others--many families have been and are going through this. It's nothing to be ashamed of!
* Head lice do not spread disease, thus they do not pose a health risk.
* Lice leave a scent that actually "calls" other lice, telling them that is a person is a good food source.
* Lice are grayish-white or tan. Adult lice are approximately the size of a sesame seed. Nymphs are extremely small and difficult to see-they look like dirt, sand, or a freckle. Nits (eggs) are glued to the hair shaft & appear darker in color until hatched, then they can appear lighter in color.
After you've found lice
* Head lice have become resistant to common over-the-counter products that once used to be effective.
* Be a friend and tell a friend. Notify your child's school and any close friends who may have been in contact with your child. Remember, it is not just where the child got lice, but who the child may have shared it with as well. Failing to notify contacts could put your child at risk for re-infestation.
* Many lice businesses will do head checks for a nominal fee.
* Another important note: The cost of lice removal can be paid for by your healthcare savings account!
The Lice Lounge has never turned a family away for inability to pay. They also partner with schools by donating 10% of treatment costs back to the referring school. These funds are used to provide free services to families in need.
Here are some helpful websites:
Carnival Kick-off Meeting Rescheduled & More February Events....
January 26, 2018
More information can be found in the February newsletter, but here's your top four:
*Submit your Box Tops by February 1
*The Carnival Kickoff Meeting is Thursday, February 1 @ 6:30p in the Media Center
*Culver's Night is Tuesday February 6 @ 5-7:30p
*Art & STEM Fair is Thursday February 15 @ 5:15p
~Registration Form (due to your child's teacher February 9)
Carnival Kick-off Meeting Cancelled
January 23, 2018
The Carnival Kick-off meeting has been cancelled tonight due to WBLAS closures. Check back for the rescheduled meeting date. If you'd like to help out and can't make an evening meeting, check out the sign-up page here.
Combing the internet for facts about lice?
January 15, 2018
If you've spent way too much time trying to figure out truth from fiction when it comes to lice information on the internet, you need to take a few minutes out of your Tuesday night and join The Lice Lounge instead. The Lice Lounge will be at the PTO meeting providing information and free head checks to any VHES family.
January 3, 2018
Bingo night is this Friday night in the Cafeteria. Grab the family and join us from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. and please bring a peanut-free candy bar (per participant) to share for prizes!
The next PTO meeting is coming up January 16th
December 29, 2017
Here we go into another calendar year. The next PTO meeting is January 16, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the Media Center. The Lice Lounge will be at the meeting with information and prevention tips as well as FREE head checks for all VHES families, teachers, and staff!!! All are welcome to attend, see you there!
Oh what a night!
December 15, 2017
Look at these helpers and diners at Culver's on December 5th! Join VHES for the next Culver's night on February 6th! Thanks to Culver's in Vadnais Heights for donating a portion of the proceeds from the event!
I think we can go ahead and pat ourselves on the back today!
December 1, 2017
Thanks to all the wonderful volunteers making all these events happen! From the fundraiser and festival in the fall to the teacher conference meal and Donuts with Dad today, what a fun and friendly group of helpers to make VHES a happy place for our teachers and kids!
Donuts with Dad is this Friday, December 1st!
November 29, 2017
Begin the school day with dad, grandpa, uncle or guardian - everyone is welcome! Donuts, juice and coffee will be served in the gym from 8:30 to 9 am. Then visit your child's classroom from 9 to 9:15 am.
The big question - will there or won't there be sprinkles this year!??!!
SpiritWear Orders Due November 29th!
November 16, 2017
Order your SpiritWear for delivery on December 18th. There are four products offered this year and samples can be found in the Media Center during conferences.
Click here for the order form and return to your child's teacher by November 29th. If you have any questions please contact Julie at Julie.Hopkins@isd624.org
Shop Amazon Smile :)
November 10, 2017
Shop for everyone on your gift list this holiday at smile.amazon.com/ch/36-3544324 and Amazon donates to Parent Teachers Organization.
2017 White Bear Area Schools Tax Levy Renewal Information
November 6, 2017
The goats are in the Bears' Backyard to help us get our buckthorn problem under control. Hope they enjoy the tasty treats!
PTO Update from the Vadnais Voice
November 3, 2017
Here is the PTO update from this month's VV!
Fall Festival Fun
November 1, 2017
After a colorful afternoon at the Rainbow Run, families danced and visited at the PTO's Fall Festival - in costume of course. Thanks to all the volunteers, some VHES Alums for helping out at the concessions (below left), and to our D.J.s Filip Mulier (outgoing) & Bee Kong (incoming) (below right)!
Yoga Family Day could earn the school $500!
October 27, 2017
LifeCore Yoga in partnership with BearPower, WBL Community Services, GoodKids and Judy Craig-Edina Realty invite you to a fun filled morning at South Campus. All ages welcome. Registrants will receive a free t-shirt and all registration fees will be donated to H20 for Life. Courtesy of Judy Craig-Edina Realty, the school with the most attending yogis will receive a $500 Gift card! Register: https://whitebear.ce.eleyo.com/search/BearPower
Fall Festival Sign-up
October 20, 2017
The Fall Festival is next Friday the 27th. This is just a fun night for classmates to get together and dance while parents and grandparents visit on the sidelines. Volunteers are needed in 2-hour increments to decorate, sell concession or clean-up. Sign-up now!
Autumn is Busy @ VHES!
October 11, 2017
Autumn is full of fun (and fund) events at VHES. Cross-check your personal calendars and join other parents and grandparents for some great volunteering opportunities at the fall festival, fundraiser pickup, Donuts with Dad, and book-fair. Some sign-ups are posted on the volunteer page...check back often!
Do you know someone who has a particular affinity for beat matching and remixing, or just playing some kid friendly music? D.J. Filip will be stepping off the stage next year and is looking for someone to take over his post as the D.J. at the fall festival. This year would be a great opportunity to step up and learn the ropes (actually the wires and where everything is plugged in).
Great Turnout at the First PTO Meeting!
September 19, 2017
Dr. K, our district's new superintendent, kicked off the first PTO meeting of the year with a district overview and helpful information on the upcoming operating referendum.
Volunteers are always welcome and appreciated! Visit the "Contact Information" page to view volunteer posts that are still open for this year.
The fall fundraiser starts soon. Sell through the catalogs and just collect donations. It's our biggest fundraiser of the year and let's make it our best year yet!
We are the PTO for Vadnais Heights Elementary School